The Waiverly Projects
All about efforts to change the world, just a little.
It all started here (well we can’t put Facebook posts in blog posts yet so we did it with the Twitter thingy that WordPress created for us, called the WordPress Twitter Blackbird Pie plug-in [neat eh? – that’s the Geek thing going on here too…]!):
Then we commented & shared away on Facebook – putting it out there that:
Wow, we will follow – we want to do a “homeless” simulation, kinda like the “poverty simulation our Step Up Savannah & Step Up Savannah group does on “paper”. But this is what we REALLY have in mind, facilitating this kind of “in real life” experience! Think it will humble a lot of folks, don’t you?
So now we have set the tone for an idea for a project here in Savannah! We have been talking about this in various places before, the need to raise the bar on people really “getting it”, knowing what it’s like to be homeless!
And then we raised the bar with our friends at WSAV too (they have been way supportive of the Advocacy & done two stories on us so far [one on our WHD project & just yesterday, an update on what we’ve been up to since then]! Asked them here (very publicly on their Facebook page too!):
WSAV News 3 On Your Side, Kim Gusby, Alice V Massimi & Meredith Ley – would y’all like to do a story like this in Savannah? Let’s see if we can find somebody to do this even for a week? See other comments posted on Robert T Hughes wall regarding this idea – following up on StepUp Savannah’s Poverty Simulation efforts (very valuable but this raises the bar!)…
So, now all you blog readers (& citizens of Savannah!), let’s raise the bar for YOU too!
Please comment away here & tell us what you think!
- Would you want to be the one who lives homeless for a week (or the month that this great father is doing)?
- Should we do it with a hidden camera?
- Should it be an undercover operation?
- Who should promote it, sponsor it or do it?
- Can it be used as a fund-raiser for something so special like this Father is doing?
We challenge you to go read the article on the 11-Alive website (link above in the Twitter post capture thingy) to see the creative thing this Father is doing in response to a challenge from his daughter!
Follow his story on his blog too, linked to below!
After posting this story originally we were made aware of another project in Raleigh NC where a man’s business is supporting him in his efforts to live homeless in his car – please take a look at the website linked to in this tweet:
Let’s GO Savannah! Are we UP for this?
- An Open Letter to the Citizens of Savannah, GA regarding Homelessness in Savannah (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- WSAV – A Second Story on World Homeless Day! WSAV did a GREAT job! (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- Social Media – the Best Defense Against Homelessness? – Tonic (tonic.com)
- Savannah is READY for INNOVATION too!: Phoenix’s Project H3 wins Housing Hero award for innovative partnerships | 100,000 Homes (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- Discuss Homelessness in Savannah – using a 360 degree view: Downtown Neighborhood Association Meeting, November 9 (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- ‘homeless but not hopeless’: Homeless unemployed blogger hangs onto Laptop and lands plum job | Geek with Laptop (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- We Are Visible: Mark Horvath Launches Website To Empower The Homeless With Social Media (huffingtonpost.com)
- Super Awesome Homeless Dude Plays Invisible Drums In The Subway (laughingsquid.com)
- Increasingly, the Homeless Log On When They’re Down and Out (homelessness.change.org)
- Thousands Will Gather on the National Mall to Help the Homeless (theroot.com)