Sundays there is a weekly service outreach by several churches & individual volunteers. This was the annual special Thanksgiving feeding of the hungry & homeless where special things happened – hair cuts by area stylists donating their time & hygiene kits (donated & assembled lovingly by volunteers) as well as a very special worship service before the feeding that included a message from Psalm 100 for Thanksgiving, a personal service of communion served by volunteers walking the line & two very special performances of songs by Rev Ethel Delaney & Mrs Tim (Janna) Terrell.
Watch the videos here from the two performances of songs during the “Day of Thanksgiving” service.
Rev Ethel Delaney:
Mrs Tim (Janna) Terrell
Stats for the event:
- Approximately 45 haircuts were given out;
- 325 people & families were fed;
- 200 hygiene kits were handed out;
- 12 different churches & organizations participated.
A Day of Thanks message was delivered from Psalm 100 by Pastor Samuel Treece with support from the volunteers for the message, communion & ministering to those served.
The American Legion Post on Bull Street was used for the haircuts & much appreciation goes to them for their wonderful support in allowing us to have a top-rate facility to serve the homeless who needed haircuts for the holidays!
- Let’s show folks what it’s like to be homeless – this project tries to do that: The Waiverly Projects (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- An Open Letter to the Citizens of Savannah, GA regarding Homelessness in Savannah (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- Does Savannah need a Task Force?: Columbus Local News: Region & News: Dialogue regarding homeless must involve businesses (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- Jill Brooke: Putting the “Give” in Thanksgiving When Your Kids Are With Your Ex (huffingtonpost.com)