Center to help homeless behavioral health problems
We hope that there will be components of outreach to others to enable referrals to their program – we love the name “No Wrong Door for Help” because it gives the opportunity to present a holistic approach to homelessness. When someone becomes homeless or is on the verge they need to be evaluated holistically.
We do feel that a “Housing First” approach is needed & will advocate for those types of programs because it has been recognized that without housing (in a shelter or transitional housing) the chances of someone raising themselves out of their homelessness is minimized.
There is also a cost consideration – it has been proven that it is much cheaper to house someone than to be serving all the needs that come from living on the streets.
It is also the first step to recovery in many cases from the mental health & addiction problems that cause many to not seek shelter because they are afraid of the shelter “system” or have to give up their addictions cold turkey. There needs to be services or referrals for services for recovery centers as well, ones that promote & allow drying out from those addictions, taking them away from their familiar lives that allow them to relapse.
We realize that there are no easy answers here – housing for a recovering addict is expensive, more so than traditional housing because it needs to be wrapped up in services, much like those being offered we presume in this new service.
We welcome this new service from Union Mission & the renaming of the Parent & Child program to be inclusive of these new approaches is applauded.
We seek to support this new program & will make those we come in contact with at our various volunteering efforts with other ministries in town (who have been seeking such a program they can refer their “audiences” to is welcome).
- Let’s show folks what it’s like to be homeless – this project tries to do that: The Waiverly Projects (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- Helping Homeless Requires First Speaking Their Language (prweb.com)
- Is this you? Time for an attitude adjustment? Who cares about the homeless? I just want to read the funny pages. (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- An Open Letter to the Citizens of Savannah, GA regarding Homelessness in Savannah (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- Does Savannah need a Task Force?: Columbus Local News: Region & News: Dialogue regarding homeless must involve businesses (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)