An original post on Google+ that shared this website & funding approach commented that:
Noland Hoshino originally shared this post:
The lead, most important statement on that page is:
“Homeless services are broken. We don’t need to hear from another politician,” says founder Mark Horvath. “We need to hear from the single mom living in the van with two kids.”
So our two cents (& more than you probably wanted [rant included below with a special graphic that we saw yesterday that kind-of says it all about our response, so you have to read the whole rant or cheat & scroll down to the end…], with apologies to Mark for tagging into the conversation) was:
The agree part is about the no more comments from politicians needed part & the fact that real people’s stories are so much more effective in raising awareness, caring & opening the hearts of those who can really make a difference in the effort to End Chronic (& all ultimately) Homelessness!
Yes, agreed! But I want politicians to be more compassionate & aggressive at the same time to ask the hard questions of the CoC’s when they need to be questioned! Not all do but some (& you know who you are) just might!
And YES, we need to hear from the ones actually experiencing it or having recently been through the “system”, like the Mother living in a car talked about here!
Sanitized videos with no real meat & pictures only just don’t cut it when you’re trying to make a statement about what the life is really like!
Nice videos from tent camps that make it seem like it’s a good life need to stop because all we get are comments about “they need to start paying property taxes”!
What good does that do to end chronic homelessness as those who really live it know it?
The season of glossing over & no accountability are over as far as this Advocacy is concerned!
This is our Christmas gift to those experiencing chronic homelessness in Savannah in particular!
P.S. I’ve posted a couple of tough blog posts today & commented on a newspaper story that linked Homeless Memorial Day with a local CoC getting a $3.5M grant to do the same thing they’ve been doing for gosh knows how long!
And we still have chronic homelessness & people living on the streets at Christmas time when solutions ARE available!
Check out the posts here: https://homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com
Sorry for tagging into your organizations great work but I needed to reference the real stories that you do that help us make the case much better of course!
And now for our promised image that says it ALL:
- The homeless demographic exposed: Local Organization Plans to Feed 6,000 People For Holidays | The Coastal Source (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- How to raise funds for a Housing First Model in Savannah you ask?: Fraser Communications “Doing Well by Doing Good” – – – – – – A WSJ Business Center Film – YouTube (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- Social media courage: Cambridge homeless man chronicles his life on Twitter – Cambridge – Your Town – Boston.com (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- PHOTOS: Homeless People Who Died On The Streets Memorialized At City Hall (huffingtonpost.com)
- Connect with the issues here: Sophie Johnson: Homeless Kids (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- Dead at 47: homeless people are exposed to much worse than cold (skwillms.wordpress.com)
- Fundraisers skip a good night’s sleep for charity (newsvault.co.uk)
- Homeless people die 30 years younger, study suggests – BBC News (bbc.co.uk)
- Homeless people in the UK revealed to have life expectancy of just 47 (guardian.co.uk)