Wow, look what happens when the community comes together to end homelessness!
Another model for review here!
They just seem to keep popping up everywhere else but in Savannah! Who can share with us why that might be?
A few comments worth sharing from the article:
“Connections Housing is an extraordinary project for so many reasons,” said Jim Silverwood, president of Affirmed Housing Group, one of the many organizations and businesses that will be assisting with the project. “We are honored to be a part of this stellar partnership, and part of the cause to end homelessness in San Diego.”
An impressive list of partners too:
San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders, San Diego Council President Pro Tem Kevin Faulconer and City Councilmember Todd Gloria served as guest speakers at the meeting.Representatives of Affirmed Housing Group, Family Health Centers of San Diego, People Assisting the Homeless (PATH) and PATH Ventures were also on-hand.Other partners in the project include Alpha Project, Centre City Development Corporation, the San Diego Housing Commission, Turner Construction Company, UnitedHealth Group and U.S. Bank.
And being done quickly as a rehab it seems:
Officials say the aim of the Connections Housing project is to transform the current facility into an “integrated service and residential center aiming to end homelessness in San Diego.” Construction of the facility is expected to be completed in December of 2012.
So, who has properties they want to offer up for something of this scale here in Savannah? And where is our list of similar partners to make this thing come together?
Comment away, contact us & we’ll work with anyone on these efforts!
Is this another model for the new Housing Fund to consider?
- Once again, We appreciate the coverage but… : Savannah families face homelessness | savannahnow.com (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- We appreciate the coverage, but…: Homeless organizations receive $3.5 million annual award | savannahnow.com (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- Savannah’s Answer to World Homeless Day 10/10/11 (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- Follow-up & More on Supporting “Housing First” Models to End Chronic Homelessness in Savannah, GA: Question for All Political Campaigns in Savannah, GA, 2011 Elections (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- How to end chronic homelessness with stories, images & video: Haunting Portraits of the Homeless by Lee Jeffries | Colossal (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- Follow-ups in Savannah on: ’60 Minutes’ story on homeless children in Florida spurs $1 million in donations | Poynter. (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- Thanks CBS News for the follow-up & update: More homeless kids now living in cars – CBS News (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)