We commented over on the Savannah Morning News article this morning! Here’s that comment for our blog readers & visitors to see & respond to here with comments!
Open the dialog here for the Interfaith Taskforce on Ending Homelessness in Savannah!
Now is the time for community engagement!
We have been calling for (as a part of our Homelessness in Savannah Advocacy) community engagement & coming together as a community of faith to take on the challenges of ending homelessness together as only a faith community can!
We have seen models all over the country that create an entity known as an Interfaith Taskforce on Ending Homelessness that can address solutions & deliver alternative service models that only a faith community can accomplish!
These solutions operate outside of the restrictions that federal, state or locally government funded solutions place on the funded providers. This does not mean that the efforts are not coordinated & aligned with the goals & missions of the Homeless Authority however.
We look forward to being a part of the dialog of how the community moves forward now that the Homeless Authority Board has taken this action.
Other news outlets have covered the story too. Here are some links to those stories:
- WTOC 6-1-12
- WSAV 6-1-12
- WJCL, FOX28 6-1-12
- Announcement: A series on homeless living in a shelter, please follow: Faces of Homelessness: A Night at the Shelter – Burke, VA Patch (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- An issue for Savannah to discuss too?: Boulder: Heaven for the homeless, or a town that’s short on services? – Boulder Daily Camera (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- Have you played the game of being homeless yet? ABCNews did this story: The Conversation: Homeless Simulation Game Forces Players to Confront Tough Choices – ABC News (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- A discussion on the Faith Community doing more to end homelessness & support the poor: Faith Leaders Blast House GOP Budget As ‘Immoral Disaster’ That ‘Robs The Poor’ | ThinkProgress (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- What does or should Savannah’s version of Home for Good LA look like? (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- Had to share this story from a Vet! WOW- read & support any organization who makes a difference for Vets experiencing homelessness! (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- Savannah needs to consider: Alternatives to Criminalization | Issue | United States Interagency Council on Homelessness USICH (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- Old structures CAN be re-purposed to end chronic homelessness!: Rosanne Haggerty, pioneer in supportive housing, moves into social innovation. – Courant.com (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)
- Is this a street model for engaging the street homeless & helping to end their struggles?: Fighting homelessness in Atlantic City a constant battle for cop, social worker – pressofAtlanticCity.com: Atlantic County News (homelessnessinsavannah.wordpress.com)